Saturday, December 24, 2011

The Year of the CrossFit Junkie


Yes, I’m a bandwagon riding year in review kind of girl..  1) It helps us appreciate it where we’ve come from and the hard work we put into getting where we are.  2) I think reflection helps us prepare better for what’s ahead. 3) I just wanted to post more pictures on here.

Because this is a reflection of my CrossFit year, I’m throwing out the typical Jan-Dec calendar (who cares what about months Romans came up with forever ago anyway).  This year was really about going from habitual CrossFit social hour to full-blown CrossFit junkie.

We opened CrossFit Tuscaloosa officially on Dec. 1, 2010.  It was definitely going to be an interesting adventure, particularly for Drew and Brittany.



I left to go to Idaho for the holidays after only a week and a half, so it wasn’t until January when I got back that I really had the opportunity to get into our new home in the Tuscaloosa Downtown YMCA.  Immediately, I knew Drew was going to put us to work.



But by February, we were in the swing of things and at least had a fun group to suffer through WODs with.   I was a social CrossFitter after all, so it better be fun!







Sarabeth and I headed to Garage Games and tried to stay warm.  This was like being introduced to Bacardi Ice when you’re in high school.  No one thinks you’re going to go hard core.  You’re just a groupie, dressed cute in boots and leggings, clearly just there to cheer people on.  But someone had to get SB through that awful trail run in the wet cold.  I had no idea that my future CrossFit home, CrossFit Music City, was there competing as well, or that Rebecca was hating that trail run just as much as SB.


The girls at CFT that I had conned into running New Orleans for my 26th birthday managed to have fun as well.  It was far more a 4-day eating holiday with this little run at the end of the weekend. 


The supportive spouses gave us that extra little advice we needed to get through the race.  Justin Williams channeled Rich Froning – I think the rest of us just focused on feeding our faces.


In March, still amazingly injury free, I placed overall for the first time in a race.  What’s more amazing is the fact that I did it at altitude in Idaho – and that my mother stole my medal.


CrossFit had prepared me well for the post-race photo.

March also brought on the Open.  While I was disappointed to not have a Sectionals competition to go watch and see CFT face off against those in the area, a lot of CFT showed up each week to see Drew, Sarabeth, Max, and Chuck tackle the Open WODs.

Like for any WOD, Maxwell was calm about each of the events.

Maybe even excessively happy.

The Open was definitely a taste of a bit of that CrossFit high – did you see how happy Maxi looked?

For the first time, I was considering actually “training” instead of just being a recreational wodder.  Afterall, I was getting stronger….




And I joined Greg for Flying Lessons (aka – finally learning how to do double unders).

We participated in CrossFit Innovate’s March of Dimes Throwdown Week 3 of the Open, where (shocker) Sarabeth took first for the women and Drew took first for the men.

Not to be left out of the fun, there was a second WOD for those of us not badass enough (yet) to compete in.




Even Camille, one of my bffs from Law School who I had roped into CrossFit a few months earlier, enjoyed the fun of competition.

Summer lead us to Regionals, which Sarabeth and Drew had qualified for.  Brittany, Carla, Cary, and myself couldn’t miss out on supporting them – though Carla almost did.  You’ve never met anyone so terrified of flying, nor has God heard so many prayers in the 30 sec. period that makes up take off and landing.

Plus who could pass up a trip to Jacksonville to be surrounded by hot CrossFit people?

Regionals was an opportunity to meet so many people in CrossFit that I knew I’d turn into a competition junkie.  Starting to resemble a CrossFit addict, I got my fix whenever I could, including getting my Level 1 Cert at CrossFit Atlanta.  But like progressing from “oh I’ll just take a cranberry juice with a splash of vodka” to “Scotch neat, and you really think I’d take anything other than single-malt?”, I showed the true levels of my addiction by going to the CrossFit Games as my post-bar exam trip.  Others go to the beach or backpack through Europe.  No, I do this….

Watch the ladies of CrossFit beat most all of the men in the L-Sit….
Meet Iceland Annie….


Hang out with Sparkle & Shine…



Support future ex-husband, Chris Spealler, while he works…
Study Muscle-Ups from the pros

Watch the blossoming bromance of Rich & Schraeder…

and spend time with my CrossFit Addiction Support Group.

But like any true addict knows, that you can’t just have that big high and be good.  Oh no, you must feed it constantly….


So I spent the rest of the summer being CrossFit Mom to Sarabeth, going from Garage Games Event to Garage Games Event.  How else are you going to meet characters like…

Justin “the Spider Monkey, Kill Cliff Whore” Key

Or

Fitness Supermodel, Keisha Brazell
and
SouthEast badass Leah Polaski.
And of course it doesn’t hurt that CrossFitters look like this.  ;)

But by the time Faction was done, I needed to get into this competition business myself.  I’m a smart girl, and since I had spent the summer recovering from a torn rotator cuff (thank God no surgery), I eased into it with some charitable Throwdowns, like CrossFit 27:17’s FGB 6.



Yes the big name events are awesome.  And the competitors always leave me in awe.  But these smaller throwdowns touch my heart in a way that the big stage doesn’t.   At FGB6, I saw this woman.

She’s Laura Gardener.  I had met her a year ago at FGB5 – just a couple of weeks after she had started CrossFit.  I had been her judge for that event, and couldn’t help but hug her after the WOD was over, seeing her fight for every rep and taking it one station at a time.  A year later, and she’s clearly gotten stronger and LOVES CrossFit.  THIS is why I coach and THIS is why I love CrossFit.

So with my heart full of some serious CrossFit love, by October I was itching to
get a hit of that competition buzz. I, along with Sarabeth and my good friend, Chris Grothe traveled down to middle-of-nowhere Georgia for the South Georgia Throwdown.

No Garage Games Event would be complete without…

Key’s shameless Kill Cliff product pushing,



 Clapping pushups in public,

 Brian’s Game face,
 
More shameless product placement (Chris didn’t get the memo about facing the Kill Cliff can toward the camera…don’t worry Justin – I’m sure he’ll do better next time).
And 35# PRs.

Of course the best thing about being a CrossFit junkie, is spreading the addiction.  So now that I was addicted to competition, I had to get others addicted as well.  But I had just learned that I was moving to Nashville.  And all nearby Garage Games events were over.  So riddle me this Batman – how do I push the product?

Answer:  Local competitions.




Having passed on the addiction, I sadly left Tuscaloosa and my CFT family…






And made a new home at CrossFit Music City in Nashville


Can’t wait to see what next year brings!  Until then...I'll just keep feeding the addiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment